Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Totally Personal

Dinner with Austin and Laura
I have recently returned from a good visit with my oldest son and his wonderful wife in Baltimore.  I haven't had a chance to really visit with them since spending time with them after Joe's death. I loved every bit of mothering my kids when they were little but I absolutely really love my adult children and enjoy being their friend. It is fun to hear their views of life and get a glimpse of their lives now.


Our visit wasn't all roses...there was a hard blow. Crockett, their Golden Retriever died the first morning I was there. Crockett was part of the family. For me, it was hard seeing my kids loose something they loved dearly. I was glad I could be there for them as I am well acquainted with lose and grief. We will all miss Crockett and pray for Austin and Laura.

We decided to go to Lake Anna in Virginia for the weekend. The kids have a boat and I had so much fun on the lake watching them ski and wake board. I loved just being with them, riding in the boat and visiting. Austin reminds me of his dad in his demeanor and how he conducts life.
Boat time with Austin and Laura

(funny video of my attempt to wake board)

I heard that Price told Austin to video me if I tried to wake board as he didn't think his mother could do it...I had to prove him wrong and yes, you can teach old woman new tricks! I learned to wake board and I am still alive although I was very sore the next day!'

Union Station
On Monday Austin and Laura went to work and I went to Washington DC for the day. It was a fun experience as I learned to navigate alone in a big city. Joe and I had been to DC when Austin attended the Naval Academy so it wasn't totally new, but still an adventure. I enjoyed Union Station, Georgetown and walking around our capital city.  The best part was that I didn't get lost and somehow made it back to Texas.
Botanical Gardens in DC


Washington Cathedral

I am learning to travel alone, although I can't say I really like it. I still wonder where my life went but am determined to press on. Price is home for two weeks and it is good to have him home. He is doing well in his summer job with Dynamic Offshore Resources. He is  learning much as he shadows the head engineer in the Gulf of Mexico. He has grown over the summer and is now over 6'2" and has put on a lot of muscle!



Thursday I had my first book signing on with a group of authors and artists at a special event hosted at the Fredericksburg Herb Farm.  I was honored to be a part of the event.

My parents are doing well and my dad is gaining strength and weight. Mom enjoys each day and loves just being with dad and likes it when I stop by.

Mallory and Rob are busy with their new home and should be in next weekend for a wedding. I can't wait to see them.

As I approach this week, I have to admit that I have shed some tears. August 4th would have been our 32nd wedding  anniversary.  32 years ago I was busy preparing to be a bride and wife...
celebrating our 25th anniversary
Joe and I  frequently went away this week to celebrate our anniversary. I was fortunate to have a man that made our relationship a priority.  God continues to hold my heart as I journey along as a single woman. Life is different and there is nothing I can do to change the cards that were dealt to me but play them well and try to win the game.

Below is a scripture that I recently came across from a member of a group I am a part of. It is someone's personal version of Jeremiah 29:11 from Ned Espritu @ The Mission in California:

"I (still) know the (amazing) plans I have (just) for you. (while it may not look like it now) they are (unfailing and perfect) plans (for you and your family's) good, and definitely not disaster, to give you a (brighter, stronger and more joyful) future(than you can ever imagine) and an ( unshakable, rock solid, water walking, mountain moving) hope."





I love this scripture as I journey into the unknown with God. I wait on Him and rest in His love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment