Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Wearing the right thing makes you look good


Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie
March 2018
copyright 2018


My youngest son-Price
     A good friend and I were talking the other day and she asked,  “Kathleen, what are you going to wear? “  We were talking about a function we planned to attend together soon, and were working out the major details when that seemingly common question popped up.
      “I don’t know,” I replied, “I haven’t planned that far ahead.”  
      Women always ask other women that question  and I feel it is because we don’t want to wear something that is inappropriate.
      Personally, I am not someone that plans what to wear too far ahead. I might think about what I am going to wear for the day as I am fixing my hair and walking to my closet. 
      The day after I was asked the question, I came across a scripture that made me think about that question again. The scripture was, Colossians 3:12, which states, “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them together in perfect unity.” (NIV) 
      I love the fact that God thinks of everything. In his wisdom, he even instructs us about what to wear! Scripture shows us that these virtues will always make us look good. 
Kiss before he gets married!
     Compassion, which is concern for the suffering or misfortune of others, is vital for each of us. How good are you at showing compassion to others? I recently had someone contact me that had lost someone they loved. There were choices in this person’s life I couldn’t agree with, but my heart went out to this individual because his heart was broken. I had a perfect opportunity to take time and show him the love of God and express concern for his suffering. I wanted to be a safe place for this young adult to express his grief. I know my own personal suffering has developed a greater compassion within me and I am much quicker to wear compassion these days.
     Kindness is the quality of being friendly, generous or considerate. Did you realize when you smile, you are being kind to others? Be sure and wear your smile today and watch how it affects those around you. Smiling can actually make you look younger, so if you are middle aged, it is a must wear garment. Being kind and considerate is being careful not to cause inconvenience or hurt to another.
     Being generous is giving more of something than is expected or necessary.. I am personally going to make sure I wear this more often as I realize I sometimes forget.
My beautiful new daughter-Halie
     Humility is a modest view of ones own importance. Everyone looks good when they wear this character trait. Pride is a common thief that works hard to steal our humility. There is nothing wrong with a feeling of satisfaction with an accomplishment. That is not pride. It is an accomplishment to earn a degree, win a race, or get a promotion. Wearing humility, enables us to honor others making them feel just as valued and important even above our own accomplishment. All that we have and all that we are is because of God’s grace in our lives. Yes, our choices make a difference but for those that call on God, we must remember that it is Him that enables us. Remembering that fact helps keep me in my place. Sometimes I forget that fact and self righteousness or  pride can strip me of the garment of humility. Scripture says to humble ourselves and God will lift us up. It is up to us to put on the garment of humility.

This week, I challenge you to examine your wardrobe. God gives us the most important things to wear and when we choose from God’s  wardrobe, we will always look like a million dollars. 


Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie is a native of the Hill Country, a writer and speaker. She is passionate about helping others to discover their value and worth. You can contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com or visit her blog at www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment