Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Thursday, April 19, 2018

You are special, important and loved!

You are special, important and loved
April 2018 newspaper article
copyright 2018
Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie


My big sons! Love them so.
Working from my computer trying to finish a grant, Becca, a three year old, came and stood right beside me. I was working from home, due to the weather, and the bright eyed little girl came with her mom, who was working on a project at my house. 

As she stood there watching me, I stopped and hugged her and said, “Always remember Becca, you are special, you are important and you are loved. Can you say that?” I asked. 

She repeated with me as best she could but some of those words were hard to get out, “I am special, I am important and I am loved.” She beamed as she finished. 

I wanted to seize the moment with her and plant some seeds of truth in her life about how God feels about her. Actually, that is how he feels about each one of us.

 Deuteronomy 7:6 states, “For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.” (NIV) You are special, do not ever forget it! Each of us can choose to believe this but we need to take the next step and act like we are special to the Lord.

 Our belief system shapes our actions. Believing comes first, and then our actions will follow. When I began understanding this concept, I had to actually say to myself and God, “I choose as an act of my will to believe I am special and chosen by God.”

When we begin to act like we are special to the Lord, understand we are chosen and valuable, it shows that we really understand God’s love for us. Do you see yourself as special to the Lord?

Your life matters to others and the kingdom of God. Each of us has a responsibility to keep growing in our character and understanding of the important role God has called us to. Everyone matters and no one is discounted.

 I Corinthians 12: 18 tells us, “ But God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He has desired.” (NIV) 

Each of us has important talents. Do not try to be like someone else; be who God made you to be. You are shaped and designed by Him for important purposes. Do you see yourself as important and live your life like you are important? If not, ask God to open your eyes to how valuable you are.

When Becca began to say, “I am loved,” she stumbled over the words. They were hard to get out of her mouth. Becca is not alone. I struggled with feeling loved by God because I looked at my inadequacies and life circumstances instead of the truth of God’s word. 

 Believing God loves us is an act of faith. Galatians 5: 6 says, “The only thing that counts, is faith expressing itself through love.” (NIV). 

God has demonstrated His love for us in so many different ways. By faith, each of us must receive that love from Him. Once we choose to believe we are loved by Him, just the way we are, regardless of our faults, then we need to take the step of  truly living our lives as His much loved children.

Jeremiah 31:3 states, “I have loved you with an everlasting love and with loving kindness I have drawn you.” (NIV)  God’s love is built to last, will not give up on you and will continue to draw you. Ask Him to show you that love.

In John 15:9  Jesus shows us His love and challenges us. “ As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.”  We are commanded to remain  or sit and stay in His love. That means to me we are to constantly move throughout our day in an awareness of His love for us. Remaining in His love keeps us safe in the storms of life.

I challenge you to repeat these words to yourself this week. I am special, I am  important and I am loved. Ask God to open your eyes to your value and worth. And ask him to give you a greater understanding of His great love for you.



Kathleen Maxwell is a native of the Hill Country, a writer and speaker. She is passionate about helping others discover the joy of walking with God and their value. You can contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com and on her blog www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment