Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Is God interested in your everyday life?

Is God interested in your everyday life?
Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie
copyright
August 2018


Have you ever had one of those days or weeks, when everything was five times harder than it needed to be? I am talking about a time when things take a lot longer to do than are necessary.

I recently had a few days like that. I have traveled a great deal this past month, and after  returning from a trip, there is much to catch up on. Mail piled up, newspapers to go through,  bills to pay, calls to return, grocery store, and a “to do” list a mile long, consisting of things I needed to accomplish this week.

I’ve trusted God with the big things in my life, like cancer, finances, death, etc., but what about the little challenges in life? Is God interested in helping us in our everyday life?

In addition to the above list,  and one of them was a meeting with a friend that is helping me with a project. The project is time sensitive and the next few weeks will be busy for me with a step-daughter getting married, a new grand baby due, as well as grandchildren with birthdays. I needed to get things done on my project this week, to keep the ball moving.

During the meeting with my friend, I was intent on accomplishing tasks  and had high hopes of walking away from the meeting and our mission being accomplished. Then, everything began to  be a process instead of something I could check off my list!

My computer had been upgraded recently and a simple task was taking both of us a great deal of time. Furthermore, we were also trying to find a phone app that would help us with the project. I do not like  technical difficulties. 
Fishing trip in Alaska

 We worked and worked to figure out the new computer upgrade and after two hours, we decided to end our meeting. We had ask Siri, tried to look things up on YouTube and the internet, only to run into road blocks.  We had not accomplished much of anything! We did laugh and have a good time, and that is always good. I love my friend.

“Jesus, help us figure out these issues,” I prayed, as I smiled at my friend, thanked her for her time and we walked out the door of the restaurant. We could not figure our problems out but I knew God could.

I decided to call Google and got someone on the phone who replied, after I ask for assistance, “I do not know much about this issue but I will try to help you.” After 25 minutes of being on the phone and on hold, the call dropped! I closed my computer, asked God again for his help and decided to move on to something else on my “to do” list.

One of my next task was getting a new remote control for my garage door so I could open my garage door, and then program it to my car. My husband and I had tried for hours to program the door and car and finally gave up. I was going to take it again. This is not a big crisis, but something that makes life  a lot easier. 

 I went to a local store, only to find two hot water heaters stacked in front of the end cap that had the universal remote controls. There was no clerk around to help, and I tried to squeeze behind the hot water heaters to find what I needed. Again, I asked God to help me with this simple task that was suddenly difficult.

Finally, someone came along and was able to help me. I thanked God as I walked out of the store, asked him to help me, program the devise. Again, technology is not my area of expertise. 

God loves relationship with us and is interested in our everyday life. He delights in enjoys relationship with us in the little things, as well as life crisis. All things in life are not easy, but God enjoys our company and dependency on him.

Psalms 32:8 says, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” (NIV)  This is a promise we can take to the bank and cash in.

People often think God is not interested in the little things in life, but he is. I pray with many people about major crisis in their lives and I am happy to help others, however, God is just as interested in helping in the little things in our everyday life.
Alaska adventures

I enjoy conversations with my adult children. Sometime they call just to check on us, other times it is for advise, and then there are times they call just to visit. All the calls are special to me. I love hearing about their lives, as well as helping with their difficulties. God is the same way. We are his kids and he takes great delight in us.

Isaiah 41:10 says, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (NIV)

I came home that evening and in a matter of ten minutes, my garage door was programed. I paid a few bills, returned phone calls and sat down at my computer again. In a matter of minutes, I figured out how to solve my problems for my project! God was faithful in the little things.

Prayer is nothing more than talking to God, and we can do that anyplace and anytime. Those simple prayers I offered up the past few days, accomplished much. They accomplished more than I could accomplish in hours and days. 

How about you? Have you ever talked to God about the little things in your life? You do not have to wait until you go to church or you are in crisis to visit with him. He is ready  to instruct you, teach you and help you, and he loves relationship with you.

Perhaps you have never talked to God and don’t know him. That’s okay, God knows you and is ready  and waiting for you to know him. Just offer up a simple prayer, “God, I want to know you.” I have no doubt, he will hear your prayer and lead you in a relationship with him.




Kathleen Maxwell is a native of the Hill Country, a writer and speaker. She is passionate about helping others discover the joy of walking with God and their value. Fall of 2018, she will lead a study called, The Gathering- Bringing God into everyday life. For more information, you can contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com and on her blog www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment