Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Friday, April 22, 2011

Rings and Big Kids


Today is Good Friday and the day in history that Jesus went to the cross and suffered.  Most of us do not really like to suffer in any capacity.  We don’t like to be inconvenienced, feel physical pain or feel emotional pain.  Many addictions are a result of not wanting to embrace pain.  But recently I found a scripture that challenged me and was a comfort to me in the sufferings I am personally going through.  
Isaiah 53:10 says, 
“Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand. After he has suffered, he will see the light of life and be satisfied.”

The truth is there is great value in suffering; but who wants to hear that?  I believe sometimes when we see others go through very difficult situations the enemy can raise fear in us because we suddenly realize that bad things can happen to good people.  Bad things certainly happened to Jesus. But by the power of God, He overcame and now we have that God given right to overcome in any situation we face.   The amazing thing is that the will of the Lord is prospered at the same time. When we look to Him in these trying situations, He makes all things work together for our good.  In all that I have been though, I have not doubted that God loves me or is upset with me.  It has just been God’s plan for my life.  Even Jesus, who knew no sin, suffered because it was in the plan.  The hard part for most of us is the perseverance it takes to get the point where we see how He is working everything for our good.  That’s where faith comes in.
On a personal note, my father is still in the hospital and is now in rehab.  He will be there another week at least.  He is still pretty weak and needs much help.  We had to have a “father-daughter” talk the other day when he was refusing medication. My mom has missed him very much and is lost without him.  They have been married 53 years and remains at home with a caregiver.

Price got his senior ring the Wednesday from the University of Texas.  I was so glad to be there for the ring ceremony and am so proud of Price.  I know his dad was beaming, too.  The fact that he has kept high expectations of himself and has made great grades in light of the loss of his dad speaks highly of him and God’s grace on his life.  Many young people would have just quit, but he has persevered.  
I am spending a little time with Rob and Mallory in Houston. I have missed my girl and my wonderful son-in-law.  It is fun to get to peer into their lives. I also am looking forward to seeing Austin and Laura this summer. I love my adult children and their lives even more than I did when they were little; I love the relationship I have with my kids, but I miss that they are not a part of my every day life.  My job is never done, but now I am their friend...life is good.







No comments:

Post a Comment