Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reflections, New Life

     The days just are not long enough; then there are the days that last forever! My new job has me working long hours but as I get to know the young people that have come to Youth Build, I know I am where I need to be for this season. My new life in Kerrville reminds me of when I gave birth to my kids. The days and nights were mixed up, everything was in transition and yet there was  great joy.
     My 37 new young adults refer to me as "Mama Max." I feel like the old woman who lived in a shoe and had so many children she didn't know what to do!  The great news is they are so eager to learn a new way of life and get their education. 32 of them are boys which is quite a switch from Christian Women's Job Corps but you have less drama with guys!  Pray for these young people as they are learning to overcome big obstacles. I told other day that I was a dealer...a hope dealer! They laughed. I love them and they seem to love me. I actually have several children of the ladies I worked with at CWJC. I have chuckled as I thought of the times we prayed for the women and their families. Watch what you pray for...you may be part of the answer!
      With a new program comes a lot of adjusting. I have not only started a new job but am part of a new program The great news is that we are pioneering something new and powerful for Kerr County. We actually have young people coming from 5 towns and some walk miles just to be a part. We have become a family.
     A friend of mine approached me recently and asked for my help. Although I didn't feel like I had much to offer, he reassured me I did. His name is Brad McCullouch and he is running for District Attorney for 198th District in the next election. I have seen Brad in action and he is a man I admire. He is the real deal. He is a man of integrity and humble. The kind of guy we need in office.
    I got to know him as he served on the Board at Christian Women's Job Corps. He has been the assistant DA in Kerrville for the last few years and  also was an assistant DA in Mississippi prior to coming to Kerrville. He has a precious wife and daughter and I am honored to be a part of their team. I decided one more new thing wouldn't kill me and I know how God works...he takes us out of our comfort zone to make us more dependent on Him. I will share more about that later.
     I have had numerous opportunities to share recently how God heals the broken hearted. That always makes me smile. I love giving others hope. We must seize the moment as time is short and many need God's love and comfort. Living the gospel is what life is all about.
     I must confess that I have struggled with missing my old life. I know some of it could be I am tired. The rest I believe is because we are approaching the anniversary of Joe's death. Grief has mind of its own and I know it is important to not fight the waves but ride them out. Two years ago today we made the trip from Houston to Kerrville so he could spend his last days at home. I miss him and my old life. I miss having someone to hug me when I come home.
 Charlie and Maggie will have to do for now. Charlie is my cat. He pats my face each morning to wake me up. Maggie, my dog is always glad to see me!




God continues to encourage me with promises and words of encouragement. I recently had a woman call that I haven't heard from in a long time. She said she had a vision of me recently and felt she should share it with me. In the vision I was a beautiful rose that had been chewed on and battered. But everywhere it had been attacked, God made it stronger. Everywhere it was harmed it was an even more vibrant red. The thorns on the rose were God protecting it. She said God took a rooted plant and made it even stronger with very strong roots. This rose wouldn't bend with the wind or rain when it was shaken. It was strong but like velvet and had a very special place in God's heart. I know that word was directly from God. I have head that roses that go thru drought have an even sweeter fragrance.
"I am still confident of this; I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalms 27:13





Pressing on and pressing in-

No comments:

Post a Comment