Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Are you tired of waiting? God is in the waiting

God is in the waiting
September 2018
copyright
Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie


Miss Anna



“My life has not turned out like I thought it would and I’m tired of waiting,” said the young woman sitting across the table from me at a local coffee shop. 

This beautiful woman was was very talented, smart and ambitious and I loved listening to her. She shared her marriage troubles, her hopes and dreams and was she was perplexed with what to do next in her life. She had prayed and was tired of waiting. 

I smiled as I listened and could relate to her. I could see that God had her in a waiting period of her life. There were things He wanted to work in her and things He wanted her to let go of.  I knew that was probably not what she wanted to hear, but I began to share how I have discovered the importance of trusting in God’s timing, instead of trying to make things happen on my  own time table. I began to share with the woman, one of my own personal stories of waiting on God’s timing and His season.

Back in February 2015, I wrote down some things in my journal that I felt God was speaking to me. 

Some of the words I wrote were: “Step into your calling, step into it and begin to take steps. I am calling you to wake up people of all ages, restoring dignity and bringing then into alignment with my plans and purposes for their lives, and to give hope.  I will help you.” 

Next I wrote, “God, how do you want me to do that and what does this look like? It sounds like a community Bible study. Is that what you want me to do?”

“Show me when and show me how you want me to do it,” I wrote.

The Gathering-Bringing God into everyday life
For months I kept praying, knowing that it was much better to wait on God’s timing than try to make something happen in my own ability and on my time table and I knew it was going to look different than traditional Bible studies.

2016 came and I still had the passion to do what I felt was in my heart, however, I knew the timing was not right. I kept praying and waiting. 

I have found that God is in the waiting. In the seasons of waiting, God is  often developing things in us  and working things out of us that are necessary for where He is taking us. 

Psalms 27:14, says, “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait on the Lord.” (NIV)

When we partner with God, waiting is not wasted time and does not mean God is saying “no,” it means He is saying “not yet.”

2017 came and went  and I kept waiting. Often times, God shows us something to give us vision and hope and then begins preparing us for what is ahead. I kept praying.

My grands-waiting for the parade
One day I was at The Kroc Center, a local fitness gym and meeting place in our community. A woman stopped me and began to talk about a recent article I had written and how it had helped her. 

As we wrapped up the conversation, she said, “Kathleen, if you ever do a community Bible study, please let me know because I would love to attend.” 

My eyes got big and I could feel my heart begin to race. She was confirming the very things I had written in my journal! I smiled and replied, “I will call you.”

I felt God was encouraging me that He had not forgotten me and was confirming what was already in my heart and written down in my journal.

Psalms 33:20 states, “we wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and shield.”

When we wait in hope, we partner with God. Our hope is in Him, not our ability or ourselves.

In January of 2018, I met a woman visiting our church from Abilene, Texas. I welcomed her to Kerrville and our church and then she asked if she could pray for me. She was a stranger, however, I said yes.

As she prayed, she said, “You have been waiting and waiting and wondering if God is going to answer your prayers and I feel God wants you to know, now is the time, now is the time. You have things in your heart to do and written in your journal and you are going to start checking them off.”

I stood there in disbelief. This total stranger said things that only God knew were in my journal and my conversations with Him.

A series of wonderful and confirming events followed that are too detailed to write, and the pieces began to fall into place. I continued to wait and pray.

Beginning  Tuesday, September 18th, 2018,  from 6:30-7:45 p.m. at The Kroc Center, I will begin leading a study each Tuesday for six weeks from some of the articles I have written. The study is called: The Gathering-Bringing God into everyday life

Several of my goals are to provide practical application of walking with God and equipping people with tools to handle life’s challenges. I will speak just like I write, down to earth and transparently from the adversity I’ve walked through. 

Anna Joseph Maxwell-our newest addition
I want to provide an atmosphere where people feel comfortable, can learn their value, hearts can be restored, and a study centered around God’s goodness, faithfulness and love. The group is open to men and women, life application questions will be provided and  each person will determine their own level of involvement. The study will be centered around practicing God’s word instead of  answering a bunch of questions. Each topic will stand alone, so if someone misses a lessons, they are not behind in the study, they just miss.

As I look back in the past three and a half years, God has taught me many things in my time of waiting with hope, and on His timing. I have a team of leaders that have been praying and meeting with me for months and we hope you will join us for this adventure with God.

I prayed with the young woman I met at the coffee shop, and she took a deep breath and said, “I tend to get in a hurry but I’m going to step back and wait on God.” 





I smiled and gave her a hug and was glad my testimony had helped her see another viewpoint. I look forward to what God is going to do in her life.

Are you waiting on God to answer your prayers? Have you partnered with Him to learn what you might need for the next season of your life or asked Him to help prepare you? Do you even know God? I challenge you to look for Him in the waiting and I hope you will join me at The Gathering-Bringing God into everyday life.




Kathleen Maxwell is a native of the Hill Country, a writer and speaker. She is passionate about helping others discover the joy of walking with God and their value. She speaks Tuesday evenings at 6:30 at The Kroc Center in Kerrville,  leading a study called, The Gathering- Bringing God into everyday life. For more information or to register, you can contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com, 830-377-8061 or on her blog www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com

98,926

No comments:

Post a Comment