Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Fully known, chosen and loved

Known, chosen and loved
My step daughter, Mrs. Whitney Sanchez 
Kathleen Maxwell-Rambie
copyright 2018

It was recess time and I could hardly wait to go outside and play. I was a new 5th grader at Starkey Elementary School and was anxious to make some new friends. 
Someone quickly organized a kickball game and I loved to play kickball. Two people were designated as captains of the teams and began choosing who they wanted on their team from the rest of us that wanted to play.

I had to wear brown corrective shoes instead of cute tennis shoes like the rest of the girls, so I did not look real athletic and no one knew me. I really could kick the ball a long way, however, no one knew that. Perhaps someone would just take a chance and pick me, I thought. 

Then my worst fear happened. I was the last one chosen for my team. I felt like a loser but was hopeful I could kick the ball far and make it around the bases fast enough to score. Perhaps you were not chosen for something or  have been in a similar situation in your life and wished people really knew you and your talents you possessed. 

I recently read a scripture that made me smile when I read it, as it shows God’s heart for Jesus and for us, and how he has chosen us. It also tells us he knows us and takes great joy in who we are.

Isaiah 42:1 says, “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight.” (NIV)
wedding celebrations with Whitney and Margaret
This scripture shows us that we are chosen and hand picked by God and he is actually takes delight in us. To think that the creator of the universe has chosen you and me and is delighted to be with us in everyday life, is almost unbelievable! But it is true.



Mr. and Mrs Sanchez
I have also loved the part of the verse that says he upholds us. Three of our five children have gotten married in the last eight months so I have leaned on this verse and depended on God to uphold me! It has felt like I’ve been on a wedding marathon!

Matthew 12:18 also tells us we are chosen by God. It states, “ Here is my servant, whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight.” (NIV) 

Life circumstances can often leave us feeling less than, unloved and not very special; however, those are the days when we have to remember what God says about us instead of our circumstances. We have a choice to believe our circumstances or what God says. 

I was visiting with a widow recently and she shared her struggle with loneliness after losing her husband of 55 years and how she did not feel loved anymore. The one that had loved her dearly for so many years was gone. I remember struggling with those feelings too after losing my husband. I shared this scripture with her and she later commented that it was exactly what she needed and was healing to her heart. She shared how on the nights she felt lonely, she would read the scripture over and over and it settled her heart, reminding her she was loved and not alone.

Zephaniah 3:17 states, “The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quite you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.”

The word delight means to please someone greatly or to take pleasure in. Have you ever thought about God taking pleasure in you? You make him smile!

our latest addition-Anna Joseph Maxwell
God not only knows you personally; he actually takes great joy in you and your life. You are fully known by a mighty God and fully loved by him. He gave you and me, special gifts and talents, sees our potential, sees our flaws, and yet still loves us.

I was not the top draft choice in the kickball game that day in 5th grade, however, when my turn came to kick, the ball sailed through the air and I kicked a home run. I had talents that people could not see at first glance. I began to make friends, and am still are close with some of my classmates I made in 5th grade. 

As you walk through this week, I challenge you to write one of the above scriptures on a sticky note or index card, and put it in place where you will see it often. I pray that you will constantly be reminded that you too are chosen, loved, and God takes great pleasure in you.


Kathleen Maxwell is a native of the Hill Country, a writer and speaker. She is passionate about helping others discover the joy of walking with God and their value. Fall of 2018, she will lead a study called, The Gathering- Bringing God into everyday life. For more information, you can contact her at kathleenmaxwell1@gmail.com and on her blog www.themaxwellminutes.blogspot.com

97,878


No comments:

Post a Comment