Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Monday, February 14, 2011

Real Love

February 14, 2011

I don’t know where time goes, but it seems to be going pretty fast to me. It has almost been two weeks since I have written and since I announced my retirement from my job. I had company from out of town, and that kept me quite busy along with helping my parents. Care giving for aging parents takes a lot of time and energy. My dad’s legs are swelling due to heart failure, and he has needed his legs wrapped because of the edema. Joe had to have edema wraps, so I am the girl for the job as I am very experienced. All things do work together for good. Today I made a special Valentine’s dinner for my parents with their favorite foods, and they were so happy. I also bought them valentines to give each other since it is hard for them to get out. My little mama was so cute trying to sign a message to my dad, and seeing her smile and the gratitude was worth it all. I was glad I was able to bless them and make their day.
I have enjoyed the rest and freedom of my retirement. Last week I spent three mornings in my robe until noon! I have needed the rest and time alone with the Lord to restore my soul. Nothing heals like time with the Comforter of the universe. I loved my job and, in reality, it was a calling more than a job. But even before Joe died, we discussed that we were both feeling that my time at CWJC was coming to an end and that God had something else in mind for me. Then our lives took a different turn, and I am still trying to find up and down! I am fully convinced that there is no security in the things God does--only security in Who He is. Seriously, think about all the strange things God did in the Bible! He is the God of adventure and surprises, and I love the journey of walking hand in hand with Him. I am still up at the Job Corps some helping the new Director in the transition and transferring information to her and the Board. I appreciate Ann’s willingness to take the responsibility of my job to enable me to retire early. It was purely by faith that I was giving the Board President three months to find my replacement. I am very grateful for a Board that hears God and believes in me and what God has for my future. It hasn’t been hard to let go because I know my ministry is who I am and wherever I go, not at 1140 Broadway in Kerrville.
I have loved discovering who God is as my sustainer. I am also finding out who I am in this season--a carefree child resting in her Father’s love. I don’t know much, but I do know He loves me dearly and will love me back to life. One of my favorite scriptures on love is Jeremiah 31:3: “I have loved you with an everlasting love and with loving-kindness I have drawn you.” This is a special season for me to rest in every way and to enjoy life because it has been hard and heavy for too long. His love is constantly pursuing us, and there is so much yet for me to discover. I know in the resting He will heal, revive, restore, and reveal things to me. Psalms 55:22 says, “Cast your burdens on the Lord and he will sustain you.” My job as a much loved child is to throw my concerns on to Him, and His job is to sustain me--keep me up, keep me going, maintain me, and prolong me. That sounds good while I live in uncertainty of what the future holds for me. In the uncertainty, I feel secure like never before because I have lived in uncertainty and seen His faithfulness to me. The suffering and hardships have given birth to a new confidence in His love that draws me to know Him more.
Since it is Valentines Day I must talk about love.  I see in myself a need to grow more in loving people just like Jesus loves us.  Loving those that love us is usually easy...the hard part is loving those that don't love us back or wound us or disappoint us.  Graham Cooke says,  "How do you love when love isn't returned?  The same way you do when it is...real love doesn't seek a return."  So many times I have seen in myself and the body of  Christ conditional love.  If God asks us to love others as he does, then He will supply what we need to do that...at times I have to pray for God to give me His love for people because I just don't seem to have it in me.  I know He loves that kind of prayer.  I am very thankful for the people that have demonstrated genuine love to me.  Love heals and it never fails.

Happy Valentines Day!

Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment