Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Friday, April 23, 2010

Relay for Life


April 23, 2010


The week has been good. The waves of grief have given me a break and I am thankful. I’ve learned to embrace them when they come but I enjoy life the moments when they give me a break. Much has been going on at CWJC and God has been busy healing hearts and changing lives. I am really enjoying the new people in my life and new relationships that have come alone because of my single status , I just need more hours in the day…….
Today I went to Relay for Life – the annual fundraisingl event for the American Cancer Society. As I drove to the event a new friend prayed for me and I felt strengthened. I was very impressed by the turnout in our Texas community. Last year Joe and I attended and did the survivor walk around the track. As I walked alone this year it was sobering and yet I felt God in such a precious way holding my hand. Many people came up to me to visit and check on me. It is wonderful to be loved and prayed for by so many. I was humbled. There were tears but I visited with friends and it was fun to tell of God’s faithfulness and how I was enjoying my new life. I stopped when I came to the luminaries that were there in memory of Joe. I walked the track alone as Amazing Grace played but I did not feel alone under the moon lit sky and many stars.
It was as if I could feel Joe holding one hand and God the other. All I could think of was about how good God had been this past year and the healing I felt in my heart. Embracing the pain isn’t fun but I can see and feel how my heart has healed……I know there is more to go but I also know I have come a long way by His grace. As I left tonight, it was as if I felt Joe passing the baton of life to me and saying, “you have a lot of life to live and now is your time to run the relay of life.” I got in my convertible and smiled as I drove through town and let my mind dream of my new life.

Dreaming

Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post, Kathleen. Your journey is an encouragement to me, even though I know it is often discouraging to you.

    ReplyDelete