Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Monday, December 20, 2010

Dusting off the nursing hat

December 20, 2010




Luke 2:14 says, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” (NIV) Truly His grace is sufficient for us in each situation and I constantly have to remind myself and it keeps me steady. Favor is God’s presence, grace, joy, peace that is available to us in each situation. I love how the angels declared praise to God in the highest form they could think of and declared peace to us because His favor rests on us. The problem is most of us forget what is at our finger tips and don’t access it. I am constantly trying to remind myself and re-train myself that these are always available and discipline myself to live from the inside out. Today as I prepared to leave for the hospital I actually thought..."I know this is working for my good."  That is a huge change for me.



Currently my father is in the Tex San Heart Hospital in San Antonio. We checked him in today after tests revealed there were real problems with his heart…not exactly how I planned to spend my holidays but oh well…once again my plans have been changed. Here we go surfing again! It was funny today as I was navigating again in a hospital it actually felt quite normal. That’s when you know life for you really isn’t normal anymore. It was the most normal I have felt in a long time…After 7 years of looking after my mom with her illness, Joe and dad or mom being in the hospital 7 times since Joe died I wonder if I missed my calling to be in medicine. I will not try to understand why…just grow in the process. I know that there is something to learn in this situation. I am getting plenty of opportunities to grow inside. The short version of dad’s situation is that there are two problems with the rhythm of his heart and with the lower chamber and perhaps a blockage. We will do more tests tomorrow and then go from there. He is in good spirits and felt so bad he said he was glad to be there.



Austin, Laura and Price are home for Christmas and it is good to have extra people around the house. I am very thankful for all our friends that have shown us how much we are loved. Thanks to those of you that have been praying for our family with the holidays and the latest development with my dad. My continual prayer is for more healing for all our hearts…



Dusting off my nursing hat again,



Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment