Search This Blog

An Honest Account of Love, Grief and Walking With God
Finding God's Goodness in Life's Disappointments

Sunday, January 29, 2012





Who Will Catch You When You Take A Leap Of Faith?
Kathleen Maxwell
Kerrville Daily Times Article


Have you ever done something crazy? I recently got myself into a situation that made me wonder if I had lost my mind. My work colleagues and I went to a local camp for an afternoon of team building activities. After a few simple things, we went to a secluded spot to do the high ropes course. I am adventurous and a risk taker, but as I got to the top of a 30-foot pole and attempted to stand on a small platform, I began to wonder if I left my brain on the ground below. 
I had to remind myself this was one more thing I could check off my bucket list, and the worst that could happen is I could die and be with Jesus. Once I stood on the 2- by 4-foot platform, the next thing to do was to jump and catch a swinging bar. This part of the ropes course was called the Leap of Faith, and I concurred that it was appropriately named.
I am not afraid of much, but this was a stretch for this old girl. Attempting this was a real leap of faith for me in more ways than one and made me question my sanity. 
Shaking, I finally gathered the courage I needed to jump and reach for the swinging bar that was about 6 feet away. With a yellow helmet on and all this protective gear, my feet left the small platform, and my hands tried to grab the bar. … I missed it. Thankfully, only my pride was hurt. The ropes instructor and the rope kept me safe as I took this leap of faith, and I was slowly lowered to safety. 
The key here is I took the leap of faith.
As I stood on the ground, looked up and reflected on what I had just attempted, I was reminded of the scripture in Hebrews 11:6 which says, “And without faith it is impossible to please God …” (NIV) 
God clearly states that faith is a vital part of the life with God. Faith is defined as belief that does not rest on proof, complete trust or confidence in someone or God. Hebrews 11:1 says, “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (NIV)
I think God knew there would be very little in this world that we could count on. He knew we would need someone we could believe in and someone whose character would never change. God knew we would need someone secure to hang on to when nothing else made sense. The reality of life on earth is that there is risk in almost anything; therefore, we must be a people of faith. God highlighted people who trusted God in-spite of the odds that were against them. Hebrews 11 lists many people of faith. Some of these individuals faced incredible things but kept believing God no matter what. They believed in what they could not see, and God honored them.
Hebrews 11:13 says, “And these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised. They only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.”
We can conclude that real people of faith do not 
always get to see in this life the things they believe for. 
The key is that they keep trusting God and hang on to faith no matter what happens.
I know a woman whose grandson has been very ill for a long time. I know this family has been praying for healing for a long time and yet it hasn’t come yet. I recently told this woman how much I admired her because it is easy to believe when our prayers are answered and miracles happen. I honored her because I know, as a young widow, what it is like to fight with faith for those we love and still watch them suffer. Our faith is tested when we believe and prayers are not answered. Yet God still catches us and helps us when we take those leaps of faith, and it looks like we or God failed.  Again, faith is defined as belief that does not rest on proof. 
We often look for the end result of what we are praying for, and I believe we often miss what God is trying to teach us in the process. I know I have learned so much about God’s faithfulness and His ability to walk me through deep and dark valleys of watching those I love suffer and die. I don’t like hard times anymore than the next person, but I do know that my intimacy and dependency on God has increased as my faith has been tested. 
Faith makes us reach beyond our own ability. Faith pleases God. Faith makes life exciting, and I have yet to meet a person full of faith and full of fear. Fearful people need a serious upgrade in their faith because faith and fear are opposites. Fear intimidates and looks at what will not happen while faith looks for what can happen. 
Hope is a feeling of expectation while faith rests in complete confidence and trust. II Corinthians 1:24 says, “...for it is by faith you stand firm.” Our faith, complete confidence and trust, must be in the character of God. He always is faithful  and loving us. He will catch us, help us through our circumstances, as we look in faith to Him.
I love walking with God through life. Not all circumstances are joyful, but walking with Him is full of adventure. I never know what is around the corner, but I know He is with me. (Psalms 73:23) My faith rests in his faithfulness to see me through whatever is ahead. 
As crazy as it was to climb a 30 foot pole, stand on a very small platform and jump to a swinging bar, God reminded me that afternoon to simply take the next leap of faith. I might miss, but that is OK. I don’t know much, but I know Him and he will catch me. 
Where does your faith rest? Were your prayers not answered as you wanted but you are still walking with God and trusting in his faithfulness? If so, your faith pleases Him and He delights in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment